Monday, November 16, 2009

Sexualtity and the media?

How does the media,culture and social surroundings influence our sexuality and our decision making skills with regard to sexuality?

Sexualtity and the media?
Well, let me tell you a little story.





I work in a genealogy library, and often give presentations to groups of students about immigrants, and the process of becoming a citizen.





Recently, I had such a group of 9 year olds, and was talking about some of the interesting things that can happen. One example was of an immigrant with a girl's name who changed it to a boy's name at the last step of the process, the one step in the process where such a change was possible.





When I asked the group why the person might have changed their name, one little girl looked at me agape, and murmured "He got the CHANGE."





I nearly died laughing, and replied that they didn't do those things in the early 1900's. But another kid said "I think he was a transvest thing."





I explained that in the early 1900's a girl was not allowed to travel alone, and that I think this was an example of a girl who disguised herself as a boy so she could come to America alone, and who finally, at the last step of the process, had the opportunity to reclaim her true name. They seemed unimpressed. One boy said "I think he just wanted to be a girl. I want to be a girl."





I submit to you that these answers and attitudes are very different from those I would have received even 10 years ago. And I think it's because there are so many examples, HEALTY examples I might add, of individuals from a diversity of sexual orientations in our media.





It's a good thing. And it makes it a lot easier for you younger citizens of our country to express your true selves. Feel blessed!

dental supply

No comments:

Post a Comment